It is Hawaiian Days at the Dairy Keen. We have some fun Hawaiian Menu Items, Shrimp Dinners, Fish Tacos, Barbequed Pork Sandwiches, and Chicken Teriyaki Rice Bowls. This recipe sounds Hawaiian, but I think it is a more of a Utah tradition! Hope you enjoy this recipe. I figured out how to make it Gluten Free and it tasted so much better than the Cream of Chicken
Homemade Hawaiian Haystacks
½ cup (1 stick) Butter
¼ cup diced Onion
1 teaspoon minced Garlic
½ cup Flour
1 tsp Salt
3 cups Chicken Broth
1 Cup Milk
½ cup Prepared Ranch Dressing (Bottled is fine)
2-3 cups cooked and diced Chicken
Salt and Pepper to taste
4 cups Cooked White Rice
Desired toppings, see list of ideas below
1. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté about 5 minutes.
2. Slowly whisk in flour until smooth, cook for 3 minutes.
3. Slowly add chicken broth and milk whisking until smooth. Continue to cook while whisking until thickened.
4. Add Ranch Dressing, whisk to combine and then add cooked chicken breast.
5. Serve over cooked rice with desired toppings.
Here are some topping ideas:
Shredded Cheese, I like Mozzarella my family likes Cheddar Cheese
Diced Green Onion
Sliced Almonds, Peanuts, or Cashews
Diced Fresh Mushroom
Chow Mein Noodles
Sugar Snap Peas or Frozen Peas, thawed
Sliced Water Chestnuts
**To make Gluten Free use Gluten Free Flour and Gluten Free Soy Sauce. Sorry I haven’t found Chow Mein Noodles yet.